Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Ping-Pong Ball Theory of Thought

Hello random person on the Internet!  Welcome to my first blog post.  I have no idea if this is going to do anything sensical, so I might as well make it nonsensical.  According to this, I am going to describe how my thought process works.  Or at least how I explain it to other people.

Picture a human skull.  Now picture millions upon millions of file cabinets lining the inside of that skull.  Each contains a related set of ideas.  Now this is the skull of someone alive, so there is a brain.  But it's not a brain, it's a ping-pong ball.  If you were able to make that leap, then the next one won't be too bad.  There is no gravity or atmosphere in this environment, and the walls magically allow any object that hits them conserve momentum.  The point?  When this ball takes off, it's going forever.  Or I think it will in that environment.  I'm not really into physics.

Well, the ball takes off.  Each time it hits a file cabinet, a new thought comes to mind.  Er, ball.  Mind?  Sure.  The ballmind is able to keep a small, finite number of these on hand at once.  It's not the same number every time, because some of these cabinets contain more files than the others, but even when all else is equal it isn't.  The point is is that it's not the most predictable of things. 

Now all these ideas then get mashed up.  Strawberry, television, blue&gold macaw.  That makes no sense.  And it doesn't.  It usually doesn't.  But every now and then something cool comes to mind.  I personally believe that the person who came up with peanut butter and jelly had the same kind of mind.  Seriously, who saw that coming?  Well, I did, but then again it existed a few decades before I was born so I was indoctrinated with the sandwich agenda.

Random.  Welcome to my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment